New Zealand Biochar Ltd
- New Zealand Biochar Ltd (est. 2008), is a New Zealand owned company located in Dunedin NZ. The company is focused on the urgent need to address the issues of sustaining productive soils and reducing the impact of climate change through ethical business practice.
- Biochar is a key product for sustaining our productive soils.
We supply Biochar please refer to our Product and Services page.
- Our vision is that biochar is valued as a key tool for sustaining productive soils and reducing the impact of climate change.
- To build expertise and knowledge that enables consultancy and leadership in this field.
- To provide consultancy to facilitate the uptake of this technology
- To identify and establish markets for biochar.
- To develop and sell biochar products
Items of interest
- Biochar discussed in TVNZ Seven Sharp program - September 2020 Introducing Biochar - a soil additive that stores nutrients and helps with droughts - YouTube
Biochar is produced by heating biomass in a low oxygen environment and is a very porous material that can be used for soil improvement.
To be recognized as biochar, the material must pass a number of material property definitions that relate both to its value (e.g., H/Corg ratios relate to the degree of charring and therefore mineralization in soil) and its safety (e.g., heavy metal content).
Kelpie Wilson has published a very good detailed article in the Ithaka Biochar Journal about "How Biochar Works in Soil"(double click to read)
what we do
We promote and market safe and effective biochar and carbon products.
There are many ways of producing biochar and biochar mineral complexes such as those produced as a bi-product from furnaces burning biomass. Both biochar and biochar mineral complexes are recognised as being highly beneficial when applied to soil.
These materials can improve soil quality and productivity while sequestering carbon, and recycling nutrients that would otherwise be going to landfill, so contributing to the circular economy.
who is nz biochar?
Dennis Enright, Managing Director promotes organic and sustainable growing practices, and the role that biochar can play in such systems.
He has over 40 years of experience in agriculture and horticulture that ranges from researcher to commercial producer. In addition, he has sat on the committees of various local and national organic organisations in NZ.
Dennis was the founding Chair of the Biochar Network NZ, (BNNZ) and remains on the committee. He also sits on the Australia New Zealand Biochar Industry Group (ANZBIG) executive committee.